Sunday, August 21, 2011

Life Lessons All Over The Place

Bottoms Up - Keke Palmer by travissap

So ten days ago I landed in Abu Dhabi, and looking back it already feels like I've been here for a month. Every day is so significant and chock full of information - you can't do much without learning more about the local culture, the travel opportunities, the new job position, or the personalities of my amazing new coworkers. With that said, I now bring you THINGS I HAVE LEARNED IN ABU DHABI

-I have learned that canned tuna is not a cultural constant, and may be interpreted loosely by those who choose to package and sell it. I have learned not to force said tuna down the drain of my sink, as it will kindly regurgitate back at me.

-I have learned that at a certain point your body gets used to the heat, and I have also learned that I should consider wearing deodorant/antiperspirant on the backs of my knees, as they tend to act like armpits when I wear jeans.

-I have learned that Mallory has a strong and ever-present desire for Flamin' Hot Cheetos, that Colby can withstand three-mile runs in midday heat, that Mo has never been on a snipe hunt, that Chandra can and will communicate with everybody in their native language, and that Liam is the only person as crazy as I am to walk the mile-long journey home from the fish market.

-I have learned that my job is going to be both unpredictable and challenging, and also that the young professional role can be very hard to navigate. There are many new responsibilities that are specific to this role and the university setting, and it'll be a different transition than, say, going into a career that doesn't involve an academic environment.

-I have learned that I will be taking frequent trips to Dubai to indulge in Chili's, Taco Bell, Nando's, Wagamama, and many other Western restaurant chains that probably represent the complete and absolute globalized "selling out" of my values and sensibilities, but whatever, that shit is DELICIOUS. If they have a Rainforest Cafe, I may actually have to move permanently. Nothing makes food taste better than fake thunderstorms EVERY. TWENTY. MINUTES.

-I have learned that peanut butter, unlike canned tuna, is pretty much amazing everywhere, and I thank God every day that I'm not allergic. Sorry Tommy.

-I have learned that in about a few months, when the weather gets more temperate, I am going to be outside as much as possible. I live near the beach and the desert, which offers chances to swim, waterski, jetski, kayak, snorkel, scuba dive, sandboard, dune bash, camp - basically, any action verb I can think of!

-I have learned that Abu Dhabi is quite literally on the edge of glory. The haze from the heat and humidity makes it hard to see the horizon, specifically where the sea and sky meet, and so once the land ends, it's just a mirage-like blur of hazy grayish-blue. It looks like we exist on the edge of the planet, like a city in Star Wars (Dubai is a bit more like Cloud City, if you were curious).

-I have learned that I made the right choice in my post-graduate career plans. What a crazy place.

Coming up later this week: my bucket list for the year, some photos, and gosh, who knows, maybe a cat video or some obscure pop culture references. Thanks for reading, kiddos, more soon!



Burj Khalifa, Dubai

No comments:

Post a Comment